DIY Flexible PCBs

Flexible PCBs are very common but still are a bit expensive to get made. I looked into where to get blank flexible and could not find it for a good price within Australia.

The project that I need a flexible PCB for, I was not sure if it would work and may require some variations on the PCBs. Since the PCBs cost too much I thought I may be able to make my own and started to think about how the PCBs were made. I came to the conclusion that it was simply copper glued to some type of plastic.


I found 1M x 100MM copper foil on aliexpress and also got some 100MM Kapton tape as the plastic backing. I simply cut about 100MM x 100MM of each and stuck the copper to the Kapton tape.


As a quick test, I wanted to see what would happen if I tried to print directly on to the copper surface. After the print was done, most of the printed but some of the parts did not. I will need to see if there is a better way to print on these flexible PCBs.

Since the printing method needs work, I decided to use the direct transfer method to get the PCB image onto the copper.

I used Sodium Persulfate etchant to etch away the unwanted copper. it had been a while since I last did this and the PCB did not come out 100% great. I will need more practice at it before doing a production run of the Flexible PCBs.

The biggest problem I had with etching when the PCB was getting close to being finished, the PCB started to float. This made some areas under etching and other over etched. Over time, I can get all the methods correct.


I tried to solder to the PCBs and it was alright. The Kapton tape deformed a little. I was not sure if this was because the Kapton tape was cheap. I tried a different type of Kapton tape that I have had for a while and this tape did not deform. So the tape I got for making these flexible PCBs was fake Kapton which was very annoying. I will be trying different things to get it working

I tried to use hot air to reflow the solder, the fake Kapton just stated melting and shrinking like heat shrink but the better stuff did work. The only problem I had with the better Kapton tape is the tracks would get lifted off the tape very easily. I will try gluing the copper first to get the tracks to stay in place.


The PCB works but I think I can do better. I will be trying some other methods to see what else could work. I’m waiting until I finish my vinyl cutter to try to cut the PCB tracks. I will also try gluing the copper dow with epoxy.

I want to try doing a similar method with FR4 fiberglass PCBs but that will have to wait until I have time.

If more testing is successful, I want to use it for LEDs. I think these will work great with LEDs.

Related Projects

AOI PCB RGB Light Prototype

AOI PCB RGB Light Prototype

This is an Automatic Optical Inspection RGB light. This light is made for PCBs but could be used for other things too.This is just a prototype to see if it is worth continuing this project, I was not sure if it would work or would need more time to get working. But it WORKS.It was interesting to see that I didn't need to do anything thing to the device to get it working. It's a pretty simple …
Read more

Latest Projects

Popular Projects